ARIZONA: VOTE BY MAIL FOR SECURE ELECTIONS IN 2020
ABOUT THIS RESOURCE
Sightline’s state-by-state guides are designed to give local election officials and legislators the information they need to identify and take the most important steps to get ready for November. Each set of state-specific resources includes best practices and established models from around the country, including practical nuts and bolts advice for clerks, materials from election administrators with experience conducting all mail elections, and information about vendors and costs.
How arizona is prepared for Vote By Mail
- Allows early in-person voting starting 26 days before Election Day.
- Provides a postage-prepaid return envelope for mailed ballots.
- Has an official notice and cure process.
- Allows any voter to request an absentee ballot.
- Is a member of the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC).
- Offers voters a “single sign-up” option to permanently vote by mail.
- Uses voters’ signatures to verify ballots.
- Allows county clerks to process ballots starting 14 days before Election Day.
- Allows voters to request an absentee ballot online.
RECOMMENDED STEPS FOR SECURE ELECTIONS
Within each section, recommendations are arranged roughly in order of importance and ease of implementation.
For Local Election Officials
- Coordinate with USPS.
- Design ballots and envelopes that are easy to use.
- Implement robust signature verification.
- Provide secure drop boxes.
- Provide election day voting centers for in-person voting.
- Consider using a professional printer and sorter.
- Count ballots at a centralized, secure facility.
- Invest in high-speed centralized equipment.
For Secretaries of State
- Use a comprehensive system to track ballots.
- Mail absentee application forms to every registered voter.
- Account for voters with non-traditional addresses.
- Allow counties to accept ballots postmarked on election day.
- Allow voters to request a replacement ballot online.
- Allow community organizations to help collect and deliver voted, sealed ballots.
- Automatically register voters and update their addresses.
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO ARIZONA’S secretary of state:
Katie Hobbs, firstname.lastname@example.org
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO ARIZONA’S ELECTIONS DIRECTOR:
Bo Dul, email@example.com
Photos: Vote By Mail in Arizona. Shutterstock.