MICHIGAN: SECURE VOTE BY MAIL ELECTIONS IN 2020
A GUIDE TO BEST PRACTICES FOR MICHIGAN ELECTIONS OFFICIALS
ABOUT THIS RESOURCE
Sightline’s state-by-state guides are designed to give local election officials and legislators the information they need to identify and take the most important steps to get ready for November. Each set of state-specific resources includes best practices and established models from around the country, including practical nuts and bolts advice for clerks, materials from election administrators with experience conducting all mail elections, and information about vendors and costs.
How MICHIGAN is prepared for Vote By Mail
- Will mail absentee ballot applications to all registered voters for remaining elections in 2020.
- Allows any voter to request an absentee ballot.
- Is a member of the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC).
- Allows voters to sign up once to permanently vote absentee.
- Uses voters’ signatures to verify ballots.
RECOMMENDED STEPS FOR SECURE ELECTIONS
Within each section, recommendations are arranged roughly in order of importance and ease of implementation.
For Local Election Officials
- Coordinate with USPS.
- Design ballots and envelopes that are easy to use.
- Implement robust signature verification.
- Provide secure drop boxes.
- Provide election day voting centers for in-person voting.
- Consider using a professional printer and sorter.
- Count ballots at a centralized, secure facility.
- Include a postage prepaid return envelope.
- Invest in high-speed centralized equipment.
FOR SECRETARIES OF STATE
- Use a comprehensive system to track ballots.
- Account for voters with non-traditional addresses.
- Allow counties to start processing envelopes before election day.
- Allow counties to accept ballots postmarked on election day.
- Allow voters to request an absentee ballot online.
- Allow voters to request a replacement ballot online.
- Allow community organizations to help collect and deliver voted, sealed ballots.
- Automatically register voters and update their addresses.
Download the full Michigan action packet, with detailed information for each recommendation.
Michigan's Grade for Vote By Mail preparedness = B
Our grading system: We evaluated each state on 16 factors, covering access, administration efficiency, security, and infrastructure.
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO michigan’s secretary of state:
Jocelyn Benson, firstname.lastname@example.org
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO michigan’s director of elections:
Jonathan Brater, BraterJ@Michigan.gov
We welcome your questions and feedback. Email Kristin Eberhard, director of Sightline’s Democracy research program. Press inquiries: Anna Fahey.