MONTANA: SECURE VOTE BY MAIL ELECTIONS IN 2020
ABOUT THIS RESOURCE
Sightline’s state-by-state guides are designed to give local election officials and legislators the information they need to identify and take the most important steps to get ready for November. Each set of state-specific resources includes best practices and established models from around the country, including practical nuts and bolts advice for clerks, materials from election administrators with experience conducting all mail elections, and information about vendors and costs.
How MONTANA is prepared for Vote By Mail
- Allows any voter to request an absentee ballot.
- Offers voters a “single sign-up” option to permanently vote by mail.
- Uses voters’ signatures to verify ballots.
- Allows county clerks to start processing ballots upon receipt.
- Allows voters to request a replacement ballot online.
- Allows anyone to return sealed ballots in person.
- Permits local school board and county elections to be conducted by mail.
RECOMMENDED STEPS FOR SECURE ELECTIONS
Within each section, recommendations are arranged roughly in order of importance and ease of implementation.
For Local Election Officials
- Coordinate with USPS.
- Design ballots and envelopes that are easy to use.
- Implement robust signature verification.
- Provide secure drop boxes.
- Provide election day voting centers for in-person voting.
- Consider using a professional printer and sorter.
- Count ballots at a centralized, secure facility.
- Include a postage prepaid return envelope.
- Invest in high-speed centralized equipment.
FOR SECRETARIES OF STATE
- Use a comprehensive system to track ballots.
- Mail absentee application forms to every registered voter.
- Join the Electronic Registration Information Center.
- Account for voters with non-traditional addresses.
- Allow counties to accept ballots postmarked on election day.
- Allow voters to request an absentee ballot online.
- Allow voters to request a replacement ballot online.
- Allow early in-person voting options.
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO montana’s secretary of state:
Corey Stapleton, firstname.lastname@example.org
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO montana’s election director:
Dana Corson, DCorson@mt.gov