MISSOURI: VOTE BY MAIL FOR SECURE ELECTIONS IN 2020
ABOUT THIS RESOURCE
Sightline’s state-by-state guides are designed to give local election officials and legislators the information they need to identify and take the most important steps to get ready for November. Each set of state-specific resources includes best practices and established models from around the country, including practical nuts and bolts advice for clerks, materials from election administrators with experience conducting all mail elections, and information about vendors and costs.
How Missouri is prepared for Vote By Mail
- Provides a postage-prepaid return envelope for mailed ballots.
- Is a member of the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC).
RECOMMENDED STEPS FOR SECURE ELECTIONS
Within each section, recommendations are arranged roughly in order of importance and ease of implementation.
For Local Election Officials
- Coordinate with USPS.
- Design ballots and envelopes that are easy to use.
- Provide secure drop boxes.
- Provide Election Day vote centers for in-person voting.
- Consider using a professional printer and ballot sorter.
- Count ballots at a secure centralized facility.
- Invest in high-speed centralized equipment.
For Missouri’s Secretary of State
- Use a comprehensive system to track ballots.
- Mail absentee application forms to all registered voters.
- Give voters sufficient opportunity to cure signature problems.
- Allow any voter to request an absentee ballot.
- Account for voters with nontraditional addresses.
- Give voters a “single sign-up” option.
- Use the voter’s signature to validate the ballot.
- Allow counties to start processing envelopes early.
- Allow counties to accept ballots postmarked on Election Day.
- Allow voters to request an absentee ballot online.
- Allow voters to request replacement ballots online.
- Allow early in-person voting options.
- Allow community organizations to collect and deliver sealed ballots.
- Automatically register voters and update their address.
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO missouri’s secretary of state:
Jay Ashcroft, email@example.com
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO missouri’s co-director of elections:
Photos: Vote By Mail in Missouri. Shutterstock.