NEVADA: VOTE BY MAIL FOR SECURE ELECTIONS IN 2020
ABOUT THIS RESOURCE
Sightline’s state-by-state guides are designed to give local election officials and legislators the information they need to identify and take the most important steps to get ready for November. Each set of state-specific resources includes best practices and established models from around the country, including practical nuts and bolts advice for clerks, materials from election administrators with experience conducting all mail elections, and information about vendors and costs.
How Nevada is prepared for Vote By Mail
- Provides a postage-prepaid return envelope for mailed ballots.
- Gives voters the opportunity to cure signature problems.
- Allows any voter to request an absentee ballot.
- Is a member of the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC).
- Offers voters a “single sign-up” option to permanently vote by mail.
- Uses voters’ signatures to verify ballots.
- Allows counties to start processing ballots sufficiently early.
- Accepts mailed ballots postmarked on Election Day.
- Allows early in-person voting options.
- Automatically registers voters and updates their addresses.
RECOMMENDED STEPS FOR SECURE ELECTIONS
Within each section, recommendations are arranged roughly in order of importance and ease of implementation.
For Local Election Officials
- Coordinate with USPS.
- Design ballots and envelopes that are easy to use.
- Implement robust signature verification.
- Provide secure drop boxes.
- Provide Election Day vote centers for in-person voting.
- Consider using a professional printer and ballot sorter.
- Count ballots at a secure centralized facility.
- Invest in high-speed centralized equipment.
For Nevada’s Secretary of State
- Use a comprehensive system to track ballots.
- Mail absentee application forms to all registered voters.
- Account for voters with nontraditional addresses.
- Allow voters to request an absentee ballot online.
- Allow voters to request replacement ballots online.
- Allow community organizations to collect and deliver sealed ballots.
Download the full Nevada action packet, with detailed information for each recommendation.
Nevada's Grade for Vote By Mail preparedness = A-
Our grading system: We evaluated each state on 16 factors, covering access, administration efficiency, security, and infrastructure.
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO nevada’s secretary of state:
Barbara Cegavske, email@example.com
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO nevada’s deputy secretary for elections:
Wayne Thorley, firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome your questions and feedback. Email Kristin Eberhard, director of Sightline’s Democracy research program. Press inquiries: Anna Fahey.
Photos: Vote By Mail in Nevada. Shutterstock.