OKLAHOMA: VOTE BY MAIL FOR SECURE ELECTIONS IN 2020
ABOUT THIS RESOURCE
Sightline’s state-by-state guides are designed to give local election officials and legislators the information they need to identify and take the most important steps to get ready for November. Each set of state-specific resources includes best practices and established models from around the country, including practical nuts and bolts advice for clerks, materials from election administrators with experience conducting all mail elections, and information about vendors and costs.
How Oklahoma is prepared for Vote By Mail
- Allows any voter to request an absentee ballot.
- Allows voters to register and request an absentee ballot online.
RECOMMENDED STEPS FOR SECURE ELECTIONS
Within each section, recommendations are arranged roughly in order of importance and ease of implementation.
For Local Election Officials
- Coordinate with USPS.
- Design ballots and envelopes that are easy to use.
- Provide secure drop boxes.
- Provide Election Day vote centers for in-person voting.
- Consider using a professional printer and ballot sorter.
- Count ballots at a secure centralized facility.
- Include a postage-prepaid return envelope.
- Invest in high-speed centralized equipment.
For Oklahoma’s Secretary of State
- Use a comprehensive system to track ballots.
- Mail absentee application forms to all registered voters.
- Give voters sufficient opportunity to cure signature problems.
- Join the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC).
- Account for voters with nontraditional addresses.
- Give voters a “single sign-up” option.
- Use the voter’s signature to validate the ballot.
- Allow counties to start processing envelopes early.
- Allow counties to accept ballots postmarked on Election Day.
- Allow voters to request replacement ballots online.
- Allow early in-person voting options.
- Allow community organizations to collect and deliver sealed ballots.
- Automatically register voters and update their address.
Photos: Vote By Mail in Oklahoma. Shutterstock.