UTAH: VOTE BY MAIL FOR SECURE ELECTIONS IN 2020
ABOUT THIS RESOURCE
Sightline’s state-by-state guides are designed to give local election officials and legislators the information they need to identify and take the most important steps to get ready for November. Each set of state-specific resources includes best practices and established models from around the country, including practical nuts and bolts advice for clerks, materials from election administrators with experience conducting all mail elections, and information about vendors and costs.
How Utah is prepared for Vote By Mail
- Gives voters sufficient opportunity to cure signature problems.
- Allows any voter to request an absentee ballot.
- Is a member of the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC).
- Offers voters a “single sign-up” option to permanently vote by mail.
- Uses voters’ signatures to verify ballots.
- Allows county clerks to start processing ballots sufficiently early.
- Allows voters to register and request an absentee ballot online.
- Automatically registers voters and updates their address.
RECOMMENDED STEPS FOR SECURE ELECTIONS
Within each section, recommendations are arranged roughly in order of importance and ease of implementation.
For Local Election Officials
- Coordinate with USPS.
- Design ballots and envelopes that are easy to use.
- Implement robust signature verification.
- Consider using a professional printer and ballot sorter.
- Count ballots at a secure centralized facility.
- Include a postage-prepaid return envelope.
- Invest in high-speed centralized equipment.
For Utah’s Secretary of State
- Use a comprehensive system to track ballots.
- Account for voters with nontraditional addresses.
- Allow counties to accept ballots postmarked on Election Day.
- Allow voters to request replacement ballots online.
- Allow early in-person voting options.
- Allow community organizations to collect and deliver sealed ballots.
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO utah’s secretary of state:
Spencer Cox, email@example.com
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO utah’s director of elections:
Justin Lee, firstname.lastname@example.org
Photos: Vote By Mail in Utah. Shutterstock.