Connections between community design and health have been studied by many organizations. This page lists some of the sources that Sightline has used to research those connections. For a full list of the sources for Cascadia Scorecard 2006, see the pdf version of the book with citations.
For a list of Sightline reports on sprawl and smart growth, see Sprawl and Smart Growth in Selected Northwest Cities.
Book, press, journals, and collection of journals
- Howard Frumkin, Lawrence Frank, and Richard Jackson, Urban Sprawl and Public Health (Washington, DC: Island Press, 2004).
- American Journal of Public Health
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- New England Journal of Medicine
Coalitions or non-governmental organizations (such as non-profits or foundations)
- Leadership for Healthy Communities
- Smart Growth America
- Smart Growth BC
- Victoria Transport Policy Institute
- Victoria Transport Policy Institute, Online Transportation Demand Management Encyclopedia
Government departments, agencies, research organizations, or ministries
- British Columbia Ministry of Health
- California Environmental Protection Agency, Air Resources Board
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Overweight and Obesity pages
- National Household Travel Survey (U.S.)
- Puget Sound Clean Air Agency
- United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Washington State Department of Transportation
- Washington State Department of Transportation, web pages on environment
University research centers