ILLINOIS: SECURE VOTE BY MAIL ELECTIONS IN 2020
ABOUT THIS RESOURCE
Sightline’s state-by-state guides are designed to give local election officials and legislators the information they need to identify and take the most important steps to get ready for November. Each set of state-specific resources includes best practices and established models from around the country, including practical nuts and bolts advice for clerks, materials from election administrators with experience conducting all mail elections, and information about vendors and costs.
How ILLINOIS is prepared for Vote By Mail
- Allows any voter to request an absentee ballot.
- Will mail Vote By Mail applications to all active voters before November.
- Gives voters sufficient opportunity to cure signature problems.
- Is a member of the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC).
- Uses voters’ signatures to verify ballots.
- Accepts mailed ballots postmarked on Election Day.
- Allows voters to register online.
- Allows early in-person voting starting 40 days before Election Day.
- Allows anyone to return sealed ballots in person.
RECOMMENDED STEPS FOR SECURE ELECTIONS
Within each section, recommendations are arranged roughly in order of importance and ease of implementation.
For Local Election Officials
- Coordinate with USPS.
- Design ballots and envelopes that are easy to use.
- Implement robust signature verification.
- Provide secure drop boxes.
- Provide election day voting centers for in-person voting.
- Consider using a professional printer and sorter.
- Count ballots at a centralized, secure facility.
- Include a postage prepaid return envelope.
- Invest in high-speed centralized equipment.
FOR SECRETARIES OF STATE
- Use a comprehensive system to track ballots.
- Mail absentee application forms to every registered voter.
- Account for voters with non-traditional addresses.
- Give voters a “single sign-up” option to permanently receive mailed-out ballots.
- Allow voters to request an absentee ballot online.
- Allow voters to request a replacement ballot online.
- Automatically register voters and update their addresses.
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO illinois’ secretary of state:
Jesse White, firstname.lastname@example.org
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO illinois’ executive director, elections:
Steve Sandvoss, email@example.com
SEND THIS RESOURCE TO illinois’ director of voting and registration systems:
Kyle Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org