On Wednesday, September 7, Sightline Institute is partnering with the Communications Hub at Fuse WA, Latina Creative Agency, and Washington CAN! to present a follow-up to our previous ethnic media event this past February.
This upcoming event will focus on how advocates, nonprofits, elected officials, and more, can effectively engage with the “Rising American Electorate,” the new American majority that includes people of color, women, LGBTQ communities, and young voters. The “Rising American Electorate” will make up the majority of voters for the first time in the upcoming November elections. As Steve Phillips writes in this year’s bestseller, Brown is the New White, America is experiencing a “demographic revolution” that will shift how interest groups and government bodies make decisions.
Find this article interesting? Support more research like this with a year-end gift!
Presenters will show case studies of their successful and innovative outreach work and provide attendees with tangible ways to modify communications plans to better represent the country’s changing demographics.
- Marcus Green, Executive Director of South Seattle Emerald
- Amalia Martino, Co-Founder of Latina Creative Agency
- Katie Stultz, Program Director of the Washington Bus
- Anita Yandle, Board Member of the CAIR Project
- Monica Ng, Board Member of Asian Pacific Islander Americans for Civic Empowerment (APACE)
Enrique Cerna, Director of Community Partnerships at KCTS 9 and long term Northwest radio and television host, will be moderating this discussion.
A light breakfast will be served before the event and a Q&A will follow the discussion. We will also provide an online toolkit for attendees with additional resources and information on the presented case studies, similar to our online ethnic media toolkit from our last event. We hope to see you there!
- What: Reaching the New American Majority: Case Studies of Success
- When: Wednesday, September 7, 9:00 – 11:00 AM
- Where: SEIU 775, Seattle, WA (map)
- Tickets: The event is free and open to the public. RSVP today.
The organizers of this event extend their thanks to our media partners: Crosscut and KCTS 9.